There are many opportunities throughout the year to earn your Community Service hours through our activities. In fact you could earn up to 50 hours per year if you participate in every event! Many High Schools, Colleges and Universities schools offer grants and scholarship opportunities to students who go above and beyond and earn more than the required 40 hours.
Activities that count:
- Poppy Tagging
- Leading up to Remembrance Day the local Legion asks us to assist them in selling poppies to raise funds for
- Coat Checks
- These usually happen around the holidays when the Lion's Centre is hosting events. We generally do 2-3 of these per year. A limited number of cadets can attend so ensure you sign up!
- Salavation Army Holiday Hamper Drive
- The Salvation Army hands out food and toys to families in need across Northumberland. This event happens in December across two days. A limited number of cadets can participate so ensure you sign up!
- Waterfront Festival
- The Lions Club invites us to assist them in the set up and tear down, as well as running road blocks during the festival. This event happens around Canada Day and typically runs between 4 and 5 days with set up and tear down. All cadets are welcome to attend.
- Rib Fest
- Cadets are invited to help set up, tear down and run road blocks for this event. It typically happens in August, and runs between 4 and 5 days with set-up and tear down. All cadets are welcome to attend.
Activities that do NOT count:
- Regular Training
- Monday & Wednesday nights, FTX's, etc.
- Tag Days
- Since we are raising money for our own unit this does not count for Community Service Hours
- Remembrance Day, Santa Claus, etc.